Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Advice from One Who’s Been There

Today I have chatted with my AFS brother, Frank.  He stayed with our family from 1995-1996.  He came to the US from Ecuador and stayed with a welcome family until they found him a placement in Northern New York.  Unfortunately that placement fell through and my sister, being student president of the AFS chapter in our school, was obliged to take Frank home.  What was supposed to be a 3 or 4 day thing has turned into a 15 year relationship.

I asked Frank this morning what advice he has for us hosting a student for the first time and here’s what he said:

Just be yourselves and everything will be fine. Remember that she is going to be worried about 1000 things because everything is new, specially coming from a culture so different from yours. I think she is going to be confused because when I went, although Ecuador is pretty much like the US in the way of living, I was completely lost. So just be understanding, that's it...

I love my brother! :-D 

P1010072Me, Frank, and our sister Judy, summer 2005

No comments:

Post a Comment